Saturday, October 8, 2011

Painting #11 – Destinations (process)

After the slow pace at which I found myself working on my last painting, I decided to repaint an image I have painted a couple of times in the past, simply because it is pure type, my favourite. It has been enlightening to see how much faster the process goes when I am painting something that I truly enjoy. I realize now that the reason my last painting took me so long was that it was so detailed, with so many colours, that I couldn't mix large batches of paint, and work with a bigger brush. The constant colour mixing and nit-picky work were not fun, and I found myself procrastinating.

I am seriously considering taking a break from the buses after the next two paintings are completed (with those done I will be ready for my February show), to start a smaller scale side project. I am thinking of creating drapery banners with favourite words and verses on them, photographing them, and painting them, much like this destination sign. I could play with colour, typeface, texture, lighting, and meaning. Perhaps I could collect favourite words, quotations and scripture verses from friends and family. There are lots of possibilities. In any case, after I finish painting number 12 of the bus series, I will be halfway through my project, and I think I will take a break for at least 3 months to work on other ideas.

Here is a process photo of my eleventh painting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sir, You are really good writer.

    It is a popular website on cindybuckshon.blogspot.com so great inspiration to read your posting.This site help us everybody.Our need always give support it sites. As I wanna share Abstract Paintings methods are essential for anyone who desires to create their Abstract Paintings more efficient to the audience. Abstract Paintings are representations of particular scenery that you would wish to represent via the fabric. Abstract Paintings are portrayals of the different scenery that encompasses us. It can be a landscape of characteristics - a woodlands, a stream, the seaside, anything landscape that you can choose out in characteristics. It can also be a reflection of an city position - the industry, the series of structures, the cathedral.

    Thank you very much for your fantastic Article.

    ReplyDelete